Monday, September 3, 2012

IBG YBG

Despite my last-minute posts (I'm making you look good, Sean DeLuca!), I finished the book about a month ago. In reflecting back on what stood out to me the most while I searched for my sixth post topic, it is, unfortunately the "I'll Be Gone, You'll Be Gone"philosophy outlined in the explanation of the mortgage meltdown and resulting financial crisis. That type of unabashed, criminal behavior is just galling. And, I do worry that it's more pervasive. For those of you who read The Price of Privilege, it's no surprise that teens who are growing up without a sense of self, but only a sense of performance, end up committed to nothing but winning.

Hence, another way the mission of this book comes back to our role as teachers. Although we have little influence in this arena, we must try to be as ethical as we can, and to demand it from our students. How big is the problem? Not sure. I think many teens are sneakier than ever--they lie easily and often. But I also know many who are idealistic, and are like the entrepreneurs in the book--they are eager to help the planet and make the world a better place. (I know some who are a little of both.) Let's hope there are more of the latter than the former!

No comments:

Post a Comment