Monday, September 3, 2012

Authentic Assessment

This past week I saw the most authentic assessment of CEW standards and critical thinking skills as the students put together a 4-page issue of the Hat Chat. I know that it's a special group of kids and they are willingly engaged in something they care about, but I was reminded once again that one of the keys to success in teaching is giving kids independence.

One thing I've learned over the years, and at conferences, is that the advisers who get the best results are the ones who do the least. We train the kids well, step back and let them own the process, make the decisions and problem-solve. I think this bears thinking about as we embark on a new year, and after four days of planning how to improve our instruction. I think there's been a trend in education that as the more things spin out of control (not making AYP, etc.), the more we try to control, and that translates as doing more work. We continue to work harder and harder than our students, and I contend that it's handicapping them.

That is one of the many reasons we struggle with critical thinking. Kids can't think critically when everything is spelled out for them. There is a great TED Talk about this for those who are interested--it's given by a young math teacher of the year. If you can't find it and want the link, let me know. I think it applies to all areas of teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment